Top tips to help prepare for your new job
After you’ve moved on from an old job, the wait to start your new role can be both exciting and agonising! That’s why we decided to put together a list of top tips to help you prepare in the lead up to that all important first day.
- Celebrate! – A new job is the perfect excuse to treat yourself
- Chill out –this could be the last chance you have in a while to get through a whole box set in one sitting; get some guilt free Netflix bingeing in while you can.
- Practice the commute(if you're required to be in the office) – one wrong turn and you could end up on the opposite side of the city on your first day; far from ideal.
- …And make sure you’re prepared for the morning of your start dates– whether that means getting the kettle on before 9 am or filling up the car with petrol - don’t leave it to the last minute.
- Stock up on stationary – if you can’t splash out on a fancy fountain pen when you get a new job, then quite frankly when can you?
- Organise your diary – make sure all your personal errands are done or out the way of your first few days
- Update your LinkedIn – this could be the first impression your new colleagues have of you; how’s that profile picture looking?
- Lockdown your social media – do really want your new employees to find those snaps of you from last year’s office Christmas party?
- First impressions count - so be ready to tackle the day with enthusiasm!
- Prepare some interesting facts – everyone’s going to want to know about the newbie, make sure to have an impressive story or two ready.
- Treat yourself – if there’s ever a time to flex that credit card, it’s now.
- Plan your lunches – failure to do this will result in your day becoming one long block which does nothing for your motivation… trust us, we know.
- Organise your life – let’s be honest, if you don’t get through that batch of washing in the corner of your room now, it’s not going to happen.
- Create a new playlist for those quiet moments in the house if you're working from home– get those inspirational anthems packed into one playlist!
- Catch up with your friends –Frankly it’s your duty to keep bragging about how amazing your sparkly new job is until your friends can’t stand it anymore.
- Keep on top of the tidying – do you really want to finish work on your first day to a boat load of dishes?
- Keep your old colleague’s contact details – you never know when you might need to call upon their Excel genius.
- Keep in contact with your new boss – it’s good to get in touch and establish strong lines of communication now.
- Find your new co-workers on LinkedIn – it’s a not a bad idea to learn a little bit about your new team…
- …But don’t get too familiar – it’s going to look more than a little strange if you start reeling off details about your new co-worker’s biggest achievements in your first meeting.
- And whatever you do, DON’T add them on Facebook before you start – Don’t…. just don’t.
- Get some exercise – Healthy body, healthy mind! Look after yourself.
- Use the time to reflect – go in with a clear head and really think about what you want to achieve.
- Research the company – you’ve aced the interview, so you probably already know a thing or two about your new company. But try to use this time to learn some extra details.
- Check in with us– we’re here to make sure you’ve got everything covered.
At Real, we’re here for you every step of the way. Get in touch to find out more about how our consultants are here to help you find the opportunity you’ve been searching for.